While there are dozens of nasty pests that can have a negative impact on the value of your property rest assured there are plenty of tried and true methods of getting rid of these unwanted guests.
Your local pest removal company should have a remedy for each of the following pests: ants, spiders, wasps, bed bugs, fleas, mosquitoes, rats, mice, bats, snakes, moths, bees, earwigs, silverfish, termites, cockroaches, millipedes, centipedes, carpets beetles, lizards, rabbits, pigeons, crows, lice, flies, weevils and possums.
While these creatures will sting, bite, poison, destroy, damage or otherwise cause mayhem here are a few tips on the best ways of getting rid of them.
- Biological pest control. Using natural or introduced predators to control pests is a strategy not without its pitfalls as we know from your friendly neighbourhood cane toad. In broad terms and despite its stated objective of trying to minimise ecological damage this is probably to be avoided.
- Eliminating of breeding grounds. Garbage provides food and shelter for a wide range of vermin and still water can promote breeding for mosquitoes. proper garbage storage and collect will reduce problems with rats, mice, cockroaches, mosquitoes and flies.
- Poisoned bait. poisoned bait is a common method for controlling rat populations, however is not as effective when there are other food sources around, such as garbage. downside to this is the potential threat to domestic pets or children.
- Traps. Traps have been used effectively for killing off mice and rats found in houses. Not too popular with the more squeamish members of the population!
- Sprays. Spraying poisons or pesticides by hand held units or trucks that carry the spraying equipment is a common. Many find spraying pesticides far more desirable than allowing insects to thrive.
- Fumigation. A process that involves sealing off a room or area and introducing a gas at a killing concentration for a period of 1-2 days. Very effective but not very people friendly.