Spring is the perfect time of year to get out into the garden.
One of the best things you can do for your garden and the planet is recycle your food and garden waste in a compost bin. Once the waste has converted to mulch, it makes for the perfect nutrient rich food for your soil and newly blooming spring garden. Compost delivers such effective nourishment and goodness for the garden that it is commonly known in gardening circles as ‘Black Gold’. So if you’re not composting yet, now is the time to set yourself up for one of the best things you can do as a gardener. Here’s how to create your own compost bin:
- Find a nice flat area somewhere near the house or garden.
- Use an old garbage bin or something similar and poke holes in it to allow air in and water out.
- Place garden and non-meat/fish food waste scraps into the bin and water occasionally if necessary to keep the compost moist.
- Cover your compost bin with anything that will do the job, such as wood, plastic sheeting or even carpet scraps.
- Turn the compost every few weeks with a shovel or rake to aerate the mixture.
- Wait for nature to weave her magic.