Why Content Insurance is a must for Tenants

Home/Why Content Insurance is a must for Tenants

Why Content Insurance is a must for Tenants

While building insurance is the responsibility of the landlord, as a tenant, it is crucial that you arrange your own tenant’s contents insurance.


Because if your goods are damaged or destroyed by circumstances affecting the owner’s property (due to things like fire, storm damage, power outages etc.) your goods and possessions are not covered by the owner.

Consider the following scenarios:

  1. Example One:

    An electrical fault in the building starts a fire and the property is destroyed. Your possessions will not be covered by the owner’s insurance.

  2. Example Two:

    You are away on holidays and the power cuts out due to an electrical fault in the building. You return home to find the food in your fridge/freezer has been spoiled. The owner’s insurance will not cover replacement of your spoiled goods.

  3. Example Three:

    A storm causes a tree to fall onto your home, which damages the exterior of the home and also some of your belongings. While the owner’s insurance will cover damage to the property’s exterior, it will not cover the damage to your possessions.

In all cases above, the owner/agent would not be liable for your damaged or destroyed possessions. Quality tenant’s contents insurance should cover you however. Please check with your insurer for the best insurance cover to suit your needs.